unless otherwise credited, all photos courtesy of Darrin Robinson


WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF PROVINCIAL FIGURE CHAMPION and NATIONAL LEVEL FIGURE COMPETITOR, LORI-ANN REDDING

Sunday, August 17, 2008

As most of you know by now, my experience at this year’s Canadian figure nationals was extremely heartbreaking for me.

It was quite the rocky couple of days leading up to the competition from the minute we landed in BC. Thursday night when we arrived in Vancouver, West Jet lost my flippn suitcase (It’s a good thing I always carry my suits and shoes in my carry on but all my clothes, makeup, tanning stuff, etc were packed in my big bag) I was livid!! Thank goodness Tami (who flew in that morning was still awake and she calmed me down. She was my lifesaver and offered to let me borrow some clothes if I needed until my luggage was found). After waiting for an hour at the airport, just as we were getting in to our rental, Darrin got the call that my suitcase came on another flight. We had a stop in Edmonton and apparently my suitcase was taken off and left there.

When I ran back in to the Vancouver airport to retrieve my luggage, guess what, I ended up getting LOST!!!! and was dragging around a 90+lbs suitcase all over the building, up and down stairs, for close to an hour before I found Darrin. We were texting each other back and fourth and I still couldn’t locate him. It was around 1am our time when this was happening so I was already tired and hungry which didn’t make things any better. THEN when we got to the hotel, I opened my suitcase to discover my Jan Tana exploded and there was dye everywhere!!! What a mess! Thank goodness I had all my towels and sheets on top of my clothes. In the end, it was just a couple of towels, sheets and my suitcase that got tanned!! However that was just the start of worse things to come.....

I still don’t know exactly what was physically wrong with me (probably a combo of things or I picked up a virus on the plane) but I had some wicked bloat which began on Friday late morning and with that, was the start of a downward spiral. I was puffed up like a blow fish and could not even stand up straight. I threw up Friday night, I was nauseous even after I threw up, had a fever, sweats, cramping, dizziness, bloating etc. My body was clearly giving me every sign that something was wrong. I barely got 2 hours sleep before the show and was exhausted. At the venue I was having a rough time keeping my eyes open. I was feeling horrible when we were called to the pump up room and felt my body was breaking down. During the prelim (first) round (black suit) I blacked out on stage. I had never blacked out before but when it started, I couldn’t control it. It kept getting brighter and brighter until I couldn’t see anything then I started to weeble and wobble and still couldn’t see then lost my balance. The 5 inch heels are hard enough to stand in let alone being blind. The head judge gave the ok to take me off stage and I had some water then went back out. Debbie (the head judge) waited for me and I was called out in the top of my class. Even though I still felt like death, I wasn’t giving up. The entire time I was on stage, I couldn’t pose, my heart was racing, my body could not cool itself, I couldn’t control my breathing and my blood pressure skyrocketed. I made it through round one and I thought after the prelim round if I lied down before my next class, drank and ate I could pull myself together and come back strong in the next round.

When we were called for our 2nd round, my balance was still off, I had a fever and felt even worse. I tried going out and did my turns but that was it, I knew I couldn’t keep going. As disappointing as that was, I would rather walk off stage then be carried off. Plus it was not fair to the rest of the girls if they had to wait for me again. The stage was extremely hot & humid and all of us were dripping with sweat. The physiques were so wet that the stage help were wiping down the girls. The temperature on that stage during the morning was deadly to the competitors that were already dehydrated.

Unfortunately, at the beginning of round 2 I pulled out because physically I couldn’t keep going-I was sick and couldn’t risk losing any more fluid without causing serious injury. I was heartbroken, this couldn’t have happened at the worst time but everything happens for a reason. Right from the start of this trip there were signs that were telling me that this just wasn’t meant to be.

Even though I look the best I have ever looked, I could not present myself and I had to take care of my health first and foremost. I am extremely disappointed but the North Americans are in 2weeks and we are driving down (I truly feel I picked up something on the airplane) and I will be more than ready to make a comeback.

Back to show day, when the evening show started, Darrin and I went back to support all the girls who worked so hard to get to the Nationals. I felt like death but there was no way I was going to miss seeing my friends shine on stage. I loaded up on gravol, advil, fluids & food then headed back. It was worth going back to see everyone receive their trophies. I was so excited for each and every girl so much so that I wasn’t sad that I withdrew. The smiles and glow on each of their faces was enough to make the whole world smile.

The Ontario team was incredible this year! We had a lot of girls travel to BC and many of them made the top 5!

Very impressive!

To see the placings, please visit www.cbbf.ca for more information.

I began to feel better later in the day on Sunday but still wasn’t right. It wasn’t until Wednesday morning that I knew I was getting better but in the end, I was well enough to enjoy a couple days of holidays in beautiful British Columbia with Darrin before flying home.

I have a million more things to write about but all that will come in the days ahead. For now, I want to thank you for all your support, it truly touched me to know how many friends took the time to email, message and send their good lucks! Im sorry to have disappointed everyone but watch for me to make a comeback on Labour Day weekend at the North Americans!

13 days and counting!



4 comments:

Danielle Rouleau said...

Lori-Ann, I know what it feels like to get sick at a competition. You handled it very well and I know you will bounce back in Cleveland. Much luck to you - you have an amazing physique!!

Lori-Ann said...

Thank you so much Danielle:) That means so much to me:) Everything happens for a reason and I had only confirmed to do the Canadian's 4 weeks out(my focus was on the North American's) so just being able to go and be in the best shape i have been in...was a trophy for me:)

Anonymous said...

I'm SO very sorry you were sick. How awful. Glad you are feeling better now. I'm sure you will kick booty at the North Americans!

LOVE the new pics! You have the body that I am working towards!

Much support comin' your way!

Anonymous said...

Lori-Ann,
Thanks for providing me with inspiration for a project I'm working on. Kick ass in Cleveland!
Phil